Discuss texts we will be using in class.
- Reading, Writing, and Rising Up: Teaching About Social Justice and the Power of the Written Word by Linda Christensen
- Various Novel Choices-see individual dates on home page or click on syllabus. You will be choosing one of the novels listed on each page to read for the week.
Log on to a computer and begin blogging in the classblog sharing what you want to take away from this class. When you are done reading your book for next week’s class share your thoughts on the classblog.
Copy Card- collect $5 for teaching articles and lesson plans on the topics covered in this course from the following publications: (and possibly others)
- The Line Between Us: Teaching about the Border and Mexican Immigration by Bill Bigelow
- Rethinking Our Classrooms: Teaching for Equity and Justice published by REthinking Schools
- Open Minds to Equality: Learning Activities to Affirm Diversity and Promote Equity by Nancy Schniedewind and Ellen Davidson
- Teaching For Joy and Justice: Re-imagining the Language Arts Classroom by Linda Christensen
- A People’s History for the Classroom by Bill Bigelow
- Rethinking Multicultural Education: Teaching for Racial and Cultural Justice edited by Wayne Au
- Crafting a Life in Essay, Story, Poem by Donald M. Murray
Listen to CD – Unlearning ‘Indian’ Stereotypes
Discuss Reader Response Theory and read and discuss CD and article about adolescent literature and its role in creating a more inclusive environment for marginalized students– see website in Literature Circles. Write about what your group discovers in your discussion so you can share in a larger group.